One of the Navy’s gifts to the University after its pre-flight schools departed the campus after World War II was the large swimming pool named for
the school’s first commanding officer, Oliver Owen Kessing. Constructed in 1943, it was rebuilt in 1998 without the intricate tile work that originally
surrounded the pool. In the background are Fetzer Field and its track and the woods where the law school now stands.
“FOLDER 0341: KESSING POOL, CIRCA 1940S-1950S: SCAN 17,” IN THE UNC COLLECTION #P0004, N.C. COLLEC TION PHO TO ARCHIVES.