A Bite Out of the Middle After years of debate about the fate of West House - a 1,141-square- foot structure that had straddled the parking lots behind Swain Hall and Hill Hall - the building was torn down in August to make way for the University's new Arts Common. West House had been in space now planned as an open quadrangle near the center of a complex bound by new and existing buildings for music, art and communication stud- ies. The one-story brick building was built in 1935 by Rutherfordton tex- tile magnate Kenneth Tanner '1l. to house his sons when they entered the University. The little building enerated a lot of emotion during a campaign to save it, and the demoli- tion decision went all the way to the governor and the Council of State.
Over the years, West House had
been used for military training in
World War II, as the first home of the
computer science department and
as the home of the Institute for the
Arts and Humanities.
PHOTOS BY DAN SEARS ' 74
On the Web: alumni.unc.edu
Published by the UNC General Alumni Association for its 67,277 members.