A Place of Growing
and Pertnanent Itnportance
grated as a child with his family from Eng-
land to the Waxhaws area just south of the
North Carolina-South Carolina border. His
uncle, William Richardson, already was
there, a minister and prominent resident of
The same specter
of an unseemly
lift them late
to sign on to the
of the idea
of a university.
the bill to
in 1789, and
the casefor it.
What they didn't tell you at orien- tation: One warm summer day along a ridge in the rural middle
of North Carolina, the trustees lay down in
the grass underneath a big poplar tree, drank
exhilarating beverages, put away a luxuriant
picnic and then took a long nap.
When they came to, William Richardson Davie and his buds sat up, looked
around them and called a halt to a five-
county search for the Carolina canlpus.
That's the story that, according to
campus historian Archibald Hender-
son (class of 1898), "all alumni are
familiar with." Either because the
story has been meticulously passed
down or because all alumni did
one or two re-enactments.
By less apocryphal accounts,
Gen. Davie, who would be 250 on
June 22, did not merely elbow his
way to the front of the trowel line
at the cornerstoning of Old East.
Founder and shaper, fundraiser and
hovering parent, he apparently was gen-
uinely worthy ofthe title offather of the
Above, an image of
Davie produced by
French artist Gilles-
Louis Chretien in
Paris in 1800.
At left, the familiar
drawing of East
Building (Old East),
sketched by UNC stu-
dent John Pettigrew
Both are part of the
Davie exhibit that
runs through June 30
In the North Carolina
Collection Gallery of
NORTH CAROLINA C OLLECTION
May / J " ,., e 2006