Ge~~a~d's south side looks this way today. It's missing the po~tico that was pa~t of the vision of Joseph Caldwell, fi~st UNC p~esident, fo~ a south- facing campus. Resto~ation of the portico may be discussed in an upcoming a~chitectu~al ~eview.
some insight into the state ofspirituality
at UNC in an 1840 letter to the trustees.
Green wrote that campus services
were conducted "under circumstances
which can hardly fail to defeat the aim of
a preached Gospel.
"At the ringing of the bell they repair
to the Hall with feelings nearly allied to
those with which they enter the Recita-
tion-room - The roll is called, absences
are noted, and every thing wears the
appearance of the ordinary exercises of the
Institution. As a necessary consequence,
the young nl.en, under the influence of
these associations, forget the sanctity of the
day and the occasion, and either fail to
attend, or else lend a reluctant ear to the
truths which they are taught."
"preaching to many who, they know,
prefer the ministrations of another." He con-
cluded the students should "be permitted
to choose for themselves the place and
manner in which they will worship."
In 1850, the trustees made it official
- the student had to declare the
off-campus church of choice in the first 10
days of the year and had to stick with it
for a year. Soon the choices were in place:
The town's first Episcopal, Presbyterian,
Methodist and Baptist churches opened
between 1847 and 1954. Green resigned
from UNC in 1949 to become rector of
the first of those, the Episcopal Chapel of
the Cross. Professor Elisha Mitchell, a
Presbyterian minister, spoke at the dedication of what would become University
Also worth noting in this period, the
canl.pus YMCA organized in 1860 - the
third campus YMCA in the country. This
was Carolina's first student-initiated faith-
C AROLINA ALUMNI REVIEW