Spartan but with touches of elegance, Gerrard Hall recently got an interior makeover. Exterior renova- tions await a historical architecture review ordered by Chancellor Moeser. Bronwyn Leech ' 98 wonders if this could be a "place of faith!'
15 recitations, 13 services
What a nightmarish place to send
your God-fearing boy in the 1830s.
Sellers ofardent spirits lurked at the
campus' edge the way a cat crouches under
a nest of baby birds. Horseracing and
nefarious gaming were no farther than
Hillsborough. Pleasures too vile to
contemplate awaited the Wilkes County neophyte who could get himself to Raleigh.
Elite North Carolinians of the early
19th century didn't just trust their sons to
the clergy-heavy faculty of the University
- they demanded a strong religious cur-
rent in the curriculum.
The founding fathers were several
steps ahead ofthem. David Ker, the pro-
fessor of humanities and languages who
greeted the fust students, was a minister.
So was fust President Joseph Caldwell,
whom the state Legislature once accused
of packing the faculty with Presbyterians.
The second building on McCorkle Place
(named for the Rev. Samuel McCorkle)
was the chapel, now Person Hall.
The trustees, meeting in Februaty
1795, deemed "that the president or other
officer perform morning and everung
prayers, and exanune the students each
: 2 Sunday evening on questions previously
C ARa LINA ALUMNIREV l EW